During pre-clerkship (years 1 and 2 of the MD program), medical students are required to complete one 12-hour elective per year. There are a variety of electives, detailed in the Faculty’s Elective Catalogue here
, that can be taken to meet this requirement.
Community Engagement Electives
The Community Engagement Team works with the Division of Community Engagement to coordinate numerous electives to meet this 12-hour pre-clerkship elective requirement. The Community Engagement electives are listed below.
There are two ways to complete a Community Engagement (CE) elective and meet the 12-hour pre-clerkship elective requirement:
1. Students can take one of the individual CE electives listed below.
2. Students can take the "Mix & Match" CE elective. To do this, students simply participate in 12 hours of any of the Community Engagement electives, with a minimum of 6hrs from one elective (for example, 6hrs of the Inner City Health elective, 3hrs of the Indigenous Health elective, and 3hrs of the Global Health Advocacy elective). This option provides students with increased flexibility and allows them to tailor their elective to suit their individual interests.
Community Engagement Electives Offered
• Community Service Learning
• Global Health Advocacy
• Global Health Education / International Health
• Indigenous Health
• Inner City Health
• Sexual & Reproductive Health
When do they occur?
The electives occur throughout the school year, depending on the availability of speakers and the schedules of contributing organizations, etc. Elective sessions generally take place starting in September and ending in March. Please follow the MSA Calendar here
to keep up-to-date during the school year.
How to Register
There is no need to register for a CE elective with the Undergraduate Medical Education (UME) Office before taking the elective. Throughout the school year, the Community Engagement team organizes elective sessions. As they do so, notifications of the sessions are posted in the MSA Calendar here and will be advertised to students via a variety of methods, including in-class announcements and Facebook posts. Students will then be asked to register for the individual sessions, and attendance is documented at the sessions. Upon completion of 12 hours of elective sessions, you then complete this form
, which can also be found outside the UME Office, and submit it to the VP of Community Engagement. The VP of Community Engagement will provide a deadline by which the form must be submitted in the fall semester. Once the hours listed in the form are verified by the VP of Community Engagement, Dr. Konkin, the Associate Dean and Division Head of Community Engagement, signs off on the form, which is then submitted to the UME Office.